16 Feb TimelyText is 13 years old! Do you know what this number means?
The TimelyText team is thrilled to be celebrating 13 years in business as the Triangle Area’s leading provider of instruction designers, technical writers, marketing writers, editors, and corporate communications specialists. This is a wonderful milestone for us, and we consider it lucky 13, as this is going to be a great year!
The number 13 is an interesting number: unlucky for some, lucky for others, avoided by many! We dug up a few interesting facts and tidbits to share. Feel free to comment with your “Number 13” factoids in the comments!
- In Italy, 13 is considered a lucky number.The expression fare tredici (“to do 13”) means hit the jackpot.
- American country-pop singer-songwriterTaylor Swift was born on December 13. She considers 13 her lucky number due to lucky events happening to her when the number appears (her first album going gold in 13 weeks, being seated at awards shows in the 13th seat, row or section). She also wears the number written on her hand at her concerts so she has it with her everywhere she goes.
- The United States of America was created from thirteen British colonies and as such, the number thirteen is a commonly-recurring motif in American heraldry. For example, there are thirteen stars on the Great Seal of the United States and there are thirteen stripes on the American flag.
- Sports icons who wore 13: Wilt Chamberlain, Dan Marino, Dave Concepción.
- According to the Stress Management Center and Phobia Institute in Asheville, North Carolina,more than 80 percent of hi-rise buildings in the United States do not have a 13th floor, and the vast majority of hotels, hospitals and airports avoid using the number for rooms and gates as well.
- Triskaidekaphobia is the fear of the number thirteen
- There are 12 months of the year, 12 gods of Olympus, 12 hours of the clock, 12 tribes of Israel, 12 Apostles of Jesus, 12 Descendants of Muhammad Imams, among many incidences of the pattern historically. The number 12 is historically considered the number of completeness, while its older cousin, 13, has been seen as an outlier. On the other hand, who doesn’t LOVE visiting their favorite donut shop to get a baker’s dozen?
In short, the number 13 is merely a number…something to remember, the next time you walk under a ladder, or when a black cat crosses your path…